Choose a reaction from a synthesized compound product using the SciFinder-n database, draw the reaction and steps and stages, and properly cite the journal article in which the reaction is discussed using ACS format.
Students receive a worksheet in the library session that will have the compound they are to use for the assignment.
· SciFinder-n database, (found from the library database A-Z list) is used to draw the assigned compound and search for a reaction
· A reaction is chosen (there may be several to choose from) that has the compound in the product.
o Do not choose a patent, book or e-encyclopedia
Once a reaction is found then it is drawn on the same sheet as the assigned compound and includes the stages and steps
· A full literature citation (using the American Chemical Society (ACS) style) of a journal article in English must be provided on the same sheet including the first page of the article
· The, How to Cite Using ACS, handout is available under the “Citing Sources” tab and cite the source using the format example for "journal article from a database"
· Drawn reaction and full correct ACS citation (and maybe the 1st page of the journal article printed) are to be emailed or turned in to the lab TA at assigned time. Be sure name & date are on paper.