Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Scale Grants are intended to facilitate rapid and widespread adoption of OER. The grants support adoption of OER across all sections of a single course, course series, or program. Grants of up to $5,000 are available to support the revision of syllabi, assignments, and other course materials necessary for the transition to OER. The Libraries recommend adoption of existing OER for Scale Grants in order to facilitate committee/departmental review and approval, as appropriate.
Though not required, Scale Grant applicants are encouraged to attend an Open Textbook Workshop before submitting an application. The workshop will help to identify and assess existing OER. Workshop attendees will have the opportunity to write a short review of an open textbook and will receive an additional $200 stipend for the written review.
- The cost of required resources for all sections of all courses supported by the grant may not exceed $0. Though individual instructors may use additional resources to meet their needs, requiring any resources that impact the total cost of the course for students will result in cancelation of funding.
- Resource to be adopted must be selected at the time of submission.
- Applicant pledges to use the resource (or another free equivalent) for a minimum of three years, distribute student surveys each semester, and provide annual feedback on course material use.
- The affordable resource is expected to be adopted within one year of receiving the award (exceptions will be considered).
- See the FAQ for additional requirements.
- Subject librarians and members of the OER team are available to assist applicants in locating OER or library-licensed content to replace current educational resources. Consultations are available by appointment.
- In situations in which modification of OER is necessary for the resource to meet class needs, the Libraries may provide software and technical support to assist in updating the materials.
- Resources requiring significant modification may be eligible for an Innovation Grant.
A complete application for Scale Grants includes the following:
- Application form
- Letter of support from dean or director
Please note that proposals should not exceed ten pages.