Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Adoption stipends of $800 are available to instructors of record teaching credit-bearing courses during the 2020-21 academic year. They are intended to promote rapid adoption of OER or other free resources to increase affordability and equity in education by eliminating financial barriers to course content. Adoption stipends may be used in support of open pedagogy, as long as all requirements are met. The stipends support the revision of syllabi, assignments, and other course materials necessary for the transition to OER.
Though not required, Adoption Stipend applicants are encouraged to attend an Open Textbook Workshop before submitting an application. The workshop will help to identify and assess existing OER. Workshop attendees will have the opportunity to write a short review of an open textbook and will receive an additional $200 stipend for the written review.
- The total cost of all required resources in the course may not exceed $0 per student.
- Resource to be adopted must be selected at the time of submission.
- Applicant pledges to use the resource (or another free equivalent) for a minimum of two years, distribute student surveys each semester, and provide annual feedback on course material use.
- The affordable resource is expected to be adopted in the semester following receipt of the stipend (exceptions will be considered).
- See the FAQ for additional requirements.
- Subject librarians and members of the OER team are available to assist applicants in locating OER or library-licensed content to replace current educational resources. Consultations are available by appointment.
- In situations in which modification of OER is necessary for the resource to meet class needs, the Libraries may provide software and technical support to assist in updating the materials.
- Resources requiring significant modification may be eligible for an Innovation Grant.
A complete application for Adoption Stipends includes the following:
- Application form
- Letter of support from dean or director