Traditionally, institutions subscribe to journals with a subscription fee so that the institutional members can access journal content that would otherwise be behind a paywall. Open Access (OA) publishing allows anyone to access and re-use the journal content subject to license agreement at no cost. To make an article OA, authors usually need to pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) to the publisher. Under a new publishing model, namely Transformative Open Access Agreement, funds used for subscription are partially allocated for paying the APC on behalf of authors of the institution.
UTA has entered into Transformative OA Agreements with Cambridge University Press (CUP) and Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), which cover publication in CUP or ACM’s journals. During the pilot period (2021-2023), the subscription fee paid to the publishers is partially used to cover the Article Processing Charge (APC) for publishing articles in OA journals and hybrid journals with an OA option. In other words, all publications from corresponding authors from UTA published during the term in CUP or ACM journals, conference proceedings and magazines will be made Open Access at the time of publication at no cost to UTA scholars.
All UTA scholars are eligible to receive this Transformative OA Agreements benefit, provided that
Please refer to the publisher section below for the procedures to claim the APC waiver.
All OA journals and hybrid journals with an OA option published by CUP and ACM are included. Please refer to the publisher section below for the full list of journals.
The APC is fully waived for eligible UTA scholars.
There is no quota. UTA scholars can submit as many papers as they want for OA publishing, however only those papers accepted for publication during the pilot period will be eligible for the APC waiver.
Please note that you must use your UTA email address to be routed to the ACM Open program.
Digital Publishing & Repository Librarian
The Cambridge University Press (CUP) has published 44 full Gold OA journals and more than 330 hybrid journals that offer an OA option, covering subjects across the humanities, social sciences and science, technology and medicine. The journal list is available at the Cambridge Journals webpage or for downloading, See below. The list is valid at press time, but the publisher may make minor changes without prior notice.
All articles published by the UTA scholars will be deposited in our institutional repository, UTA ResearchCommons.
1. Go to the journal webpage, click on the [Submit your article] button. Log in or create an account if you do not have one yet. Make sure you have used UTA affiliation, address, and email for your account registration.
2. In the Author section, click on the [Begin Submission] button to start a new submission.
3. If the article is accepted for publication, you will receive an acceptance email. If your article is accepted by a hybrid journal with an OA option, please choose the [Gold Open Access] for the preferred access type.
4. After the publishing agreement is signed off, the corresponding author will receive an email from the Publisher's Rightslink system and being requested to pay the APC.
5. Register and log in to the Rightslink, you will see a notification funding options. Check the [Seek Funding from the University of Texas at Arlington] option.
6. Upon receiving your response, the Publisher will check whether the OA article is eligible for APC waiver based on the corresponding author’s institution information. Please ensure you have used the UTA affiliation, address, and email for the manuscript submission.