After this session, students will be able to access data from SimplyMap, ReferenceUSA, Census TIGER, and the American FactFinder in order to be able to acquire data from these sources for their research projects. Students will also be aware of the potential for integrating GIS tools into their research.
Geographic Information Systems is Fun
What exactly is a GIS?
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are computer systems that aid in the management and analysis of geographically referenced data.
- Focus on relationaships between various datasets.
Get comfortable with GIS
- Launch ArcMap
- Add the sample data from the C:/pizza/marketing.mdb database
- Things we will focus on:
- Attribute Table
- Navigation Tools
- Query Selections
Defining the Exercise
Analyze the demographic communities around youth centers in Tarrant County, TX.
We will complete the exercise using the raw data in the c:/SW6328 directory first and then afterwards go through the sources used to extract this data.
- Census 2000 Block Group Shapefile
- Census 2010 Block Group Shapefile
- Excel Tables:
- Youth Centers Table
- Census 2010 Table
- SimplyMap 2010 Data Table
See window on top left-hand side.