Identify areas in Tarrant and Dallas County that would be most suitable for a new pizzeria.
Each participant will decide what type of pizza franchise to opoen (Pizza Hut, Domino's, CiCi's, or California Pizza Kitchen). Using suitability analysis, each participant will rank the suitability of every location within the Metroplex using the following 7 criteria:
Library GIS Resources
Data Sources Used
American Community Survey [2006-2010 estimates]
- Median Household Income
- % Bachelor Degree (25 and over)
- % Employment (16 and over)
Simply Map [2010 estimates]
- Mean Credit Card Debt
- Mean $ Spent on Lunch
- Blue Collar Workers
- White Collar Workers
- Housing Stability
- Crime Index
- Restaurant Index
- Total Employees
- Land Use (2005)
- Major Roads
- Zip Code Boundaries (2010)
- Census Block Groups (2010)
- Census Block Groups (2000)
- Pizzeria Locations
- Street Map
- Aerial Map
- Explore Data
- Navigate to the C:/pizzaWorkshop2012 directory in Windows and launch (double-click) pizzaWorkshop.mxd. Within ArcMap, we will explore each layer's Attribute Table and Symbology.
- Select Franchise for New Location
- This step will filter the entire Pizzerias shapefile to contain only those of the franchise you select.
- Calculate Distance Measurements
- This step will create raster layers representing the distances to (1) Major Roads, (2) All Pizzerias, and (3) Your Selected Pizzerias.
- Convert to Raster
- This step will convert the polygon-based data into raster layers. These include (1) Visits to Selected Pizzerias, (2) Income, (3) Employees, and (4) Crime.
- Run Suitability
- This is the crucial step, so get your thinking caps on and fired up!
- This step will create a suitability score, using a 1-10 scale, for every cell on our map.
- There are seven (7) variables. For each variable we need to reclassify and assign a weight.
- **Note**: Please remember to hit the classify button for each variable so the form can calculate the proper min/max values for the classifications.
- Identify Most Suitable
- This step will identify those locations with a minimum suitability score that you deem represents the top tier.
- Identify Top Zip Code
- This step will calculate the mean suitability score within all zip codes in the metroplex.